Friday, January 12, 2007

Beef. It's what's not for dinner.

I'm not all a tree-hugger type person and I am by no means a vegetarian. But the internet video that I recently viewed on the treatment of animals before and during their slaughterhouse visit was disturbing. And that word, disturbing, doesn't begin to shed light on the matter. Except for partial birth abortion, it was the most graphic and upsetting video I have ever seen. I was nauseous within moments of starting the video and only became more enraged and bothered as it continued. These animals, chickens, turkey, pigs and cattle have working nervous systems. They experience pain and lots of it. The people who, for lack of a better word, work with these animals have no heart, none. They throw them around like pillows at a teenage slumber party, beat and burn them, skin them alive, etc. Their treatment is excessive and horrifying. All in all, it was traumatizing to see such treatment of God's creatures.

I'm well aware of the food chain and in which direction it goes. But I can't help but wonder if we can find a much less cruel and still effective way of breeding animals for slaughter. Eating animals doesn't have to be like this, does it? Perhaps those Japanese and their Kobe Beef are really onto something.

Consider this a fair and serious warning. I'm providing this link given that the readers and viewers know what they're getting into. After viewing it, I wish I hadn't. It is not for the faint of heart. I love animals and think they are cute and cuddly but I think they taste good too. And still, it was way too much for me. www.meat.org

1 comment:

jtf said...

Why do you have this blog, again? Ostensibly, so you can do a lot of writing? Well, I suggest you get to it.